It’s Friiiiiiiday, Friiiiiiday.
1. I hope everyone had a great Fourth of July yesterday. We enjoyed our double celebration of the Fourth and our anniversary. We all went out for a nice lunch together and then later we went to our friend’s house for a delicious BBQ. You know, when we set July 4th as the date for our wedding, we weren’t absolutely thrilled with it because it seemed kind of kitschy, but in retrospect it was a really good decision. Dave always has the day off from work and there’s always fun to be had. Hence it’s always a really special day.
2. We were relieved to make it to our friend’s house (which is about 40 minutes away) yesterday in one piece because we’ve been experiencing some technical difficulties with car travel lately. It all started last week when we decided SK was ready for a big girl forward facing car seat. She seemed pretty excited about this transition too! That is, until we took our first 10 minute car trip to Costo. We barely made it to the parking lot before she ‘sploded her snack all over the beautiful new Graco Nautilus. I was in a panic. Was she sick? We had a date that night! Was this carsickness? Couldn’t be! We were in the car for 10 minutes! Well, we very cautiously took very short trips all weekend and watched her like a hawk. She never got fully sick again, but most car trips, even the quickest ones, made her very upset and she would cough-gag by the time we got to our destination. Since we stupidly got a seat that only faces forward, we decided we would get another car seat that had a rear-facing option in hopes that it would help her nausea. So far so good! But I’m feeling mostly cautious, not so much optimistic though. Especially since we have lots of car trips planned for this summer.
3. Well, it’s a terrible segue, but I figured since I was writing about nausea, I could join up with Katrina’s Womb Service link-up and reminisce about what foods kept my nausea at bay when I was in the “family way”. In some ways, I was totally that pregnant woman. I loved pickles! I always love pickles, especially a good bread and butter pickle, but when I was pregnant, it was only dill pickles for me. Dill pickles with slices of sharp cheddar. Dave loved a smooch after I had that snack! Towards the end, I had a terrible horrible no good very bad eating habit. I had some frosting left over from making St. Patrick Day cookies and I would eat the frosting with ritz crackers! It was awful! And I wonder why SK was 9 1/2 pounds! That’s all I can remember specifically. I wish I was one of those ladies who craved fruit. I never crave fruit, pregnant or not. And I wonder why I’m ____ pounds!
Oh, and speaking of beer, I think Rose has her current cravings to share for Katrina’s link-up too!
4. Our garden is doing so well! We’ve had snap peas for the past 3 weeks or so, so of course I made this dinner with them. So delicious!
5. I wish I had progress to report about our chair reupholstery project. It’s kind of in limbo right now. Dave still needs to finish stripping and re-staining the wood and I need to start cutting pieces, making new cording and sewing the cushion cover. It’s just not on the top of our priorities and wants now that summer is here. The last thing I want to do in the summer is spend hours inside sewing! It’s shameful though, I know. I’m going to make weekly chair goals for myself so that we have a little progress soon, I promise!
6. You’re not going to believe this but we are far from being done celebrating birthdays and anniversaries this month! Next up is Miss Ruthie’s birthday on July 7th, then Jack’s on July 8th. Our Grandma’s birthday is July 14th, Jane and Brandon’s 13th wedding anniversary is the 15th and Lucy’s birthday is the 16th!
7. And on top of all that, Coming up next weekend is the long-anticipated McFamily reunion. My Mom and Grandma have been working non-stop on planning this shin-dig for at least a year and it’s finally almost here! Along with descendants of our beloved late Grandpa McMahon, there will also be descendants of his siblings in attendance, making for a very merry McFamily get-together. And get this. We get tee shirts! Jane and her brood are coming so almost all of the McSisters will be together; we’ll be missing our Sister-sister Mary though. Maybe someone got around to making a Sr. Theresa cardboard cutout?