1. I’m taking a page out of Bonnie’s book and posting a song to start off my Quick Takes. Never have I ever claimed to be original!
I’m one of those people who is completely on board with listening to Christmas music during Advent. I am, so shoot me. Well, I used to start listening in July (when I was a kid, sheesh!) so this is better, right? It just really helps me to focus and prepare. Most importantly, it always improves my mood when I get overwhelmed with everything that needs to be done in December. That’s a good thing, right?
Anyway, I have to recommend Sufjan Stevens’ Songs for Christmas. It’s mostly religious classics with some not-exclusively Christmas hymns thrown in (see above). There’s also some of his own Christmas songs, some of which are cute/cool but most of which are weird. But! All in all, it’s a great album and I really love it. His version of Holy Holy Holy is my favorite favorite favorite. I listen to it year round. Check it out!
2. My music recommendation will be my only “this is what we do for Advent” contribution to this or any post. There’s been quite enough of that on everyone else’s blog lately. I’ll be completely honest, we don’t do much in the way of anything yet because we know Sara is too young to remember so we’re still scott-free! Next year I assume we’ll have to start doing things… Oh well, I have a year to prepare.
3. Did anyone catch the live Sound of Music last night with Carrie Underwood? Ugh. Just, ugh. I’m a purist when it comes to that musical, but I was really excited about this program and went into it with an open mind. Yikes! Objectively, Carrie has a wonderful voice and she technically hit all the right notes, but I couldn’t help but feel like she had the wrong voice for Maria. I know I know, there’s no comparison to Julie Andrews or Mary Martin, but you can’t tell me there isn’t some starlette out there with a pretty voice. Carrie was belting everything and losing her breath frequently because of that. Her singing wasn’t pretty, you know what I mean? I think she’d make a great Annie Oakley in Annie Get Your Gun! Except…. the acting. Or lack of it. Oh it was dreadful! Anyway, you can read more here.
4. So what else have I been up to…. Well, this year I’m teaching second grade CCD and my kiddos just made their first confession on Monday and Tuesday. It was such a lovely ceremony. It was reverent and a touch on the somber side which is better then how things were where I grew up… there was lots of “He is the potter, we are the clay” type of religious formation in our home diocese. I believe Claire sat on the priest’s lap for her first (or some early) confession. Anyway, despite the reverence and somber tone of the ceremony, it was overwhelmingly joyful! I loved watching the kids nervously twitching sitting in the pews with their family, checking their cheat sheet to make sure they remembered the order and their prayers. Then watching them go to the priests and see their legs swinging while they confessed was so sweet. Of course, when they finished and came back to their families they were all so relieved and happy! It was great and it really gave my own faith a little boost.
5. Dave has been working like a DOG around here. Well, not in our side of the house, but the other side. We’re just giving it a little facelift to make it more appealing to renters. It’s already pretty clean and functional, just very very outdated. Dave’s aaaaaalmost done with everything he just has a little trim work left. Here’s some before and after pictures.
6. While I’m uploading pictures, I do have pictures from Thanksgiving, but my favorites are from Peter’s baptism which was a couple of days afterwards. More pictures!
7. Ok, that is quite enough! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. We’re probably going to get our Christmas tree and start decking the halls. I can’t wait.
For more Quick Takes, head on back to Conversion Diary!