Linking up with Bonnie today for 7 quick takes. Make sure to click back there and congratulate her on her big news!
1. Worst mommy (blogger) ever over here. Gus’ birthday was 2(?) weeks ago and I still can’t believe the dude is one. Except I can, because he’s the size of a 2 year old. He is bigger than Sara was when she was 2, and she’s no peanut! He needs to walk soon for my lower back and left hip’s sake. My left arm, however, is looking quite svelte!
2. He is such a jolly fellow, though. He says Momma, Dadda, thank you and happy, and sometimes “puhboo” for peekaboo. He’s only nursing once a day now so he’s been taking little milk bottles during the day and he’s OBSESSED with them. And he finally popped his top front teeth and it seems like the side ones on the top and bottom are close too.
3. Oh! And most importantly, he sleeps! I thought he never would sleep through the night, but at the beginning of June Dave finally had it with the night wakings and subsequent grumpy wife the next day, so he took it upon himself to deal with Gus’ wakings in order to break the night nursing. And it worked! I’m wondering why we didn’t night wean sooner. Now I know for next time. Life is so much better with sleep, ya’ll.
4. Sara is loving summer time in her backyard and her swimming lessons. Swimming lessons are her first “little thing” that she’s done. This fall, she’ll be doing Catechesis of the Good Shepherd at a nearby parish and I’m so excited for her to experience that, not only for the catechesis, but also for the independent learning experience with her friends. My friends and I are also doing the co-op again, and this coming year Sara will be in the classroom with me. She’s VERY excited about that and I’m excited to see how much she grows in the next year. 3/4/5 year olds were my specialty back in my teaching days, so I’m looking forward to experiencing that age group again with my own kids.
5. Life has been humming along at a good pace. I feel like we’ve finally made our backyard a comfortable place to hang out, so we’ve been doing a lot of that lately. Dave made us a huge picnic table which we christened on the Fourth of July when we had some friends over, and since then we’ve been trying to have dinner out there when the weather allows.
6. The garden is doing pretty well now! We were worried it was all going to be a wash in June when our backyard groundhog decided that it was his garden, not ours. We weren’t able to harvest much broccoli and no snap peas at all because of his pilfering, but since we put out a trap, he’s stayed away. He’s a pretty old guy (or gal?) and I wonder if he knows what the deal is with the trap and he’s keeping his distance? Anyway, we haven’t had an issue since. We did have an issue with squash root borers in one of our zucchini plants, but the rest seem unaffected. We have more yellow squash than we know what to do with! I’m thinking of trying to make these soon.
7. Tomorrow we’re going on a date for our anniversary (which was on the fourth of July)! We’re finally going to check out the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum and then get dinner in the city somewhere. This is a big deal for us homebodies!
Happy weekend, everyone! I’ll be following along with all you Edel ladies on Instagram, trying not to be too jelly. 😉